Here are some of the ways that dental lasers can be used:
- NO SHOT Dentistry – Laser energy numbs the tooth allowing a cavity to be filled shot free.
- Reshaping soft tissue – Dental lasers can dissolve soft tissue to expose more of the natural tooth (crown lengthening), reshape soft tissue to make “gummy smiles” more attractive, and remove uncomfortable soft tissue folds caused by denture wear.
- Frenectomy – Lasers can improve speech and the feeding habits of babies, children and adults by untying the tongue.
- Implant uncovering – For “second stage” implant surgery, a laser is used to remove some gum to place a healing abutment.
- Biopsy – Lasers are sometimes used to perform a biopsy on suspicious areas of soft tissue. This biopsy procedure can be performed instantly and with great precision.
- Snoring – a special application tightens the tissue on the back of the throat without pain or trauma.
Gum Disease Laser Therapy
Dr. Bollwinkel is proud to offer the latest technology available for periodontal therapy: laser treatment. There are numerous advantages to using laser therapy as opposed to the traditional methods requiring a scalpel and sutures.
Benefits of Laser Dentistry:
With laser treatment, there is reduced or no bleeding, minimized swelling, no charring, and no drill noise or vibration. The stress and anxiety often associated with dental work is therefore eliminated when you experience quick, effective, and essentially pain-free laser procedures. Also, postoperative sensitivity is greatly limited by laser dentistry, and recovery time is much quicker than with traditional methods. In fact, due to the less-invasive nature of the laser technique, the mouth begins to heal immediately after work is completed!
Reduced Risk of Infection:
The laser’s high-energy light beam acts as a sterilizer on the area it is working, thereby reducing the risk of bacterial infections and relapses.
Anesthesia Limited or Eliminated:
Because laser dentistry is virtually painless, no longer will you suffer with fear of injections and numbness. Often, only a light anesthetic spray is required. Laser treatment eliminates the complications and cost associated with anesthesia.
Uses of Dental Lasers:
Dr. Bollwinkel can perform a variety of procedures using laser technology, such as a frenectomy, osseous surgery, and gum grafting. Dr. Bollwinkel is also able to use laser technology as a way to regenerate healthy gums and remove diseases areas in a virtually painless way. This method also encourages healthy gum to regenerate and attach to the teeth. There is a much lower chance of gum disease returning when laser therapy is used as opposed to traditional surgery.